My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Friday, January 20, 2006

Stupid Fights

I had a stupid fight with Kim last night. We have plans to go to the Aquarium on Saturday (if we can get reservations). She asked me if I had plans to spend the night with her that night or not and I told her I wasn't sure. She said that if I was not going to spend the night with her, then she was going to get Dave to take the kids overnight so she could go out and "find something to do." I guess I made some comment like, "Oh so you don't want to do anything with me?" I was joking and then she made the comment that we hang out together a lot. Maybe that's true, but we're pretty much with the kids 24/7. She replied that we spend time without them after they go to bed, which is kind of early. If that's enough of a break, then why is she always so adamant that Dave give her a break? She has a break when they go to bed.

I guess I just got offended because she had said she would only get Dave to take the kids if I wasn't going to be there. But if I was, then by all means, let's hang out with her kids all night long. I mean, we never go to a movie or go have a meal without them. I love them to death, don't get me wrong. I just feel like it would be nice to hang out without them some. Now I just feel like a glorified babysitter and the only reason I should come over is to watch or be with the kids. I also got annoyed because it seemed like she wouldn't go to the trouble of getting Dave to take the kids if she's just going to be with me. I don't know. Maybe I'm just being petty. She thought I got annoyed because I don't want her to have other friends. Whatever. That is so not me.

It does bother me though when she says that every single person that she works with is her "friend." She'll casually mention this "friend" that she has from work and she's supposedly had for months. But if they were such good friends, wouldn't I have heard about them before now? And she doesn't hang out with any of these people outside of the office. She has about twenty "friends" at work, but there are only about two that she hangs out with off work grounds. I just think that the word friend is used way too casually. A friend is someone who knows you and cares about you, someone who you know will be there for you, no matter what. I'm sure that if she were to get fired or quit her job tomorrow, she would never see or even speak to 95% of those people again. That's the only thing that bothers me. I don't care if she has other friends.

It's just stupid when we fight and I'm probably just going to let this one go. What's the point really?

4 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

I sorta agree with you. I have a close circle of friends (you, Laura, Cindy, Jake, Sheila) that I would drop anything and help them out. Then I have a larger 2nd circle of friends that I do things with regularly, but I cannot consider "close" emotionally. Then there is a larger set of people I consider friends that I've met in real life, enjoy hanging out with, but if they moved away, I probably would never see them again. But I still ENJOY doing things with them. This is where work "friends" fit in, even if I do things outside of work with them. And then the largest set of "friends" which I am on friendly terms with, respect them, know them, care casually about their lives, but I'm not really bonded to them personally. This includes people I associate with online.

Does that make sense?

January 21, 2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Yeah, I think that makes sense Luke. You have about five million different sets of friends. Hehe. I think I know what you mean. I just don't think that Kim knows the difference between real friends and friends she has that she may do things with, but that will never speak to her again if she leaves. You know that difference, which is good.

January 22, 2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Effin Nobody,

It's okay to not have tons of friends. I value my alone time, too. I'm happy with just a couple of close friends. I don't necessarily need tons of people around me.

January 22, 2006 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fools

April 19, 2007 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home