My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Let the good times roll

I am now fully engrossed in my new class, Professional Ethics in Psychology. It's a very interesting class. The Professor said that it would be boring on the first night, but it's not. Maybe it's the way he teaches it. Time goes by really fast, which is good since it's a three hour class. He's also tough. He makes you feel bad if you don't do the reading for class and if you don't know the answers to his questions. But I like that. Not everything in life is easy and he challenges me to be at the top of my game.

I am at a crossroads. I have to decide whether to start my internship in September or if I want to wait until January. Here's my dilemma. In September, I will not be done with classes yet. This means that I will be doing 20-25 hours (unpaid) at my internship location, taking classes, and working (I intend to at least work part-time since I won't be making money at my internship). And I may even still continue to volunteer. Even without the volunteer work, that is a big load. Plus, there is an internship seminar that will require extra work. I'm sure my family would want me to start this September so that I can graduate as early as possible. But I don't want to get burned out before I even graduate. If I have that much work to do, then I probably won't have anything to give to my clients or I'll be too exhausted to learn as much as I should from the experience. I guess I have to figure out how many classes I will have left. I have until February 15th to decide. That is the application deadline for the September internship.

I should try to go to bed early. I have a cold that I'm trying to fight off. I caught it from Christian and Adrian, who have been sick off and on for a while. Stupid cold.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cindy,

Just from personal experience, I did my student teaching (which was 3 full days a week) and took four classes while working part time last spring. It was a lot of work, but I do feel like I got a lot out of the whole experience. And I was glad to get it out of the way so that I could graduate and start working in the fall.

So that is just me.

And I want to see you again! I wish I could visit when Luke is!

:) Laura

January 12, 2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Laura,

Thanks for the advice. I'm still thinking about it and weighing my options.

I miss you too and wish you could come with Luke. We're going to have so much fun. Maybe I could make a visit to see you at some point. Love you!

January 13, 2006 8:31 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Cindy,

Back in college I was doing 5 classes, working 20 hours a week and involved in several clubs. Now that I'm out, I work full time (50+ hours) and have 6 hours of class a week and 4 hours of homework. I think it's doable, but it takes a lot of time management.

Just know when you're done, you'll be in the clear and doing what you love!

Luke

January 13, 2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger Juan Gabriel Llorca said...

I was wondering, what are the ethics that you are learning regarding counselors dating their clients? I learned that this a), could NEVER be done, that b)only after two years had passed, c)as soon as there as is a recognisable sexual charge in the counseling relationship it needs to be suspended...then there exists the option of dating...All very confusing.

January 14, 2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

scaramouchex,

That is a good question. I am currently reading the Ethics Code of Conduct. Of course, my class is reading the 1995 version. I just checked the 2005 version and the rule has changed a little.

It used to be that you could only date clients 2 years after the counseling relationship ends. That has now changed to 5 years. If you do engage in this, you have to communicate (in written form) that the relationship can not be considered exploitive in any way and that it will not cause adverse harm to the former client.

If a counselor does feel some attraction towards a client, it is up to the counselor as to whether a referral should be made. If you feel like you can still be objective, then you can continue the relationship. Otherwise, you should make a referral.

Hope this helps.

Cynthia

January 14, 2006 5:56 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Effin Nobody,

It could also be that you were projecting your feelings of attraction onto your counselor. But as long as he did remain objective and if you guys are able to have a good counseling relationship now, that's all that matters.

Cynthia

January 16, 2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

Wow. This has become a counseling session on its own.

January 18, 2006 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home