My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Saturday, February 25, 2006

When Animals Attack!

Today was a marvelously fun day. And by marvelously fun, I mean. . . eh, it was only okay. We slept in and took a little time getting ready. Kim called us a few minutes before we left and said that she could go with us after all. I guess Dave was being a human being and said he would keep the babies. Woo-hoo! We picked her up at her place (after Luke burned me a copy of his awesome 2-disc copy of the Rent soundtrack) and then headed to Canton House. Seriously, that was some damn good Dim Sum. It wasn't as good as Golden Port, but I think it came pretty close. I think Kim liked it. I know Luke did.

After Golden Port, there was a looong drive to the safari we planned on. Somehow Luke and I missed the exit for one of the interstates. How the hell did that happen? I LIVE here, for crying out loud! It only set us back ten minutes though. It was a rainy, dreary day, but the safari was still open so we were all good. We decided to rent a van from the company to drive instead of using my car. Believe me when I say that was a good idea. It was hilarious because a good many animals were lying in wait for us at the gate. And it wasn't so much hilarious as it was scary. Kim and Luke were in front so they had windows as barriers. But in the back (where I was), there were no windows. . . only bars! We saw so many different animals. There were elk, antelope, ostriches, pigs, hogs, deer, ducks, zebras, horses and I can't even think of the other ones. We had bought animal food so we could feed them and it's a good thing. The animals came right to our window and stuck their faces in the windows and in between the bars. We weren't supposed to hand feed the ostriches or zebras, but everything else was pretty much fair gain. Kim and Luke got some great pictures. Some of the animals kept following us for food. It was funny because one pig was extremely determined (and very fast) and kept running alongside the van. It was great. Of course, we did have to push our way through the animals at times because they were blocking our path. Craziness. After we finished with that, there was a walk-thru area. We fed some llamas and black bears. We saw some beautiful birds, rhinos, tigers, monkeys, alligators, more hogs, and so much more. You get the idea. So many animals, so little time. That part was really interesting. Kim hit an alligator with a food pellet and a monkey grabbed at Luke. He had his penis out, so I think he was coming on to him. The monkey, not Luke. Even though it was drizzling throughout the entire trip, we still had fun. And it didn't start raining harder until we were about ready to leave.

Check out this video link of Kim and Luke teasing the poor ostriches. The southern chick in the background is my commentary.

After the wonderful safari, we went to eat at Pho 79. Oh my God, the pho was soooo good. Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup, for those of you who don't know. I had a spicy rice noodle soup and it was delicious. We tried to pork spring rolls and chicken spring rolls as well and they were delicious. The owner was very nice and she was helpful in recommending stuff to us. She also took the time to explain a little bit about the name of the location to us. It probably helped that we were the only customers in the restaurant. She had recommended some kind of fruit shake to me and Kim. She really didn't want us to drink water. But I'm glad she recommended the shake. They were really good. I'm not really sure what kind of fruit was in it, but it was good so that's all that mattered. The pho was a great dish to have on a cold day like today.

After pho, we headed back to Kim's to watch Ring Two. Now that was a scary, freaky movie. I am now scared of water. Thank goodness it wasn't raining anymore when we left. Luke said he's going to need a cuddle buddy because the movie scared him. I'm thinking not since he ate all the fudge rounds in the car. Oh wait a minute. . . he just gave me one. Okay, maybe I'll forgive him. All I know is I might need a shower buddy because my fear of water is so great. I don't think Luke will be up for that one. :(

4 Comments:

Blogger Tatyanna (and Dorian too) said...

I loved this post! You always make me laugh while also being a good story-teller! I don't think we have anything even remotely close to the safari place you went; and I am really jealous! I would love to do stuff like that. It would probably scare the crap out of me, my being a city girl and all, but I would love it. Speaking of being scared, I became afraid of water when I saw the first "Final Destination." Wait, was that the one? Where the water would take it's own direction and head toward the person about to die? Whatever it was, puddles of water will never be the same!

February 26, 2006 8:51 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I didn't actually know we had a safari either. I just did some research on stuff to do for my friend's visit. It's amazing the stuff that might be in your city and you don't even know it! I grew up here and didn't know about several tourist attractions.

I don't think the movie you're referring to was Final Destination, but it sounds scary. Seriously, water frightens me now. I'm not sure I could handle that movie. :)

February 26, 2006 10:09 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Boo!

February 26, 2006 10:35 AM  
Blogger Lynda said...

He had his penis out, so I think he was coming on to him. The monkey, not Luke.

I am really glad you clarified this. The safari sounds like a lot of fun.

February 28, 2006 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home