My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Barreling into this century. . . finally

I am now as technologically advanced as my grandmother. Woo-hoo! This past weekend, I decided to actually buy a DVR. DirectTV was having a deal on them anyway. They cost $100 and they are offering a $100 rebate. So I got it for free. I got the service hooked up today, so I am enjoying my new toy. There is one down side. The way that our cables work, we can't set it up so that we can record two programs at once. That kind of blows, but I still like everything else about it. I've been using so many of my tapes to record things while I'm at Kim's or school or at the shelter. It's nice that I won't have to spend money on tapes anymore. I figured that since my grandmother has a DVR, I should break down and get one. Me and about five million other people. It's about time.

This past Saturday, the big gala for my shelter went really well. It was extremely chaotic and I was on my feet running around for about eight hours. I didn't leave until nearly 1:00 in the morning. I had a lot of fun, though. I did bid on a couple of the items that were up for auction. And I won them, too. I got a $50 gift certificate to a very nice hair salon and I only paid $25. I also got a $500 gift certificate to Avon for $200. Woo-hoo! I'm not always focused on the money, but it was nice getting great deals on those things. And the money went towards a great cause.

That's really all for now. I didn't have much to say. I just wanted to brag about my DVR really. Happy Valentine's Day to everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

How cool...um..what's a DVR? is that a DVD player that records? I'm guessing it could be.

I only got myself a DVD player prior to Xmas, and that was only because it came as a bonus offer with my new telly.

Glad to read the big gala went really, what a bargain getting those gift certificates.

Enjoy your new DVR and Happy Valentines Day to you too!

February 14, 2006 4:26 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Congrats on the gala.

I don't have a DVR either! you're not alone.

February 14, 2006 7:05 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Lisa,

Congrats on getting the DVD player. They are rockin'. A DVR is basically a digital recorder for your TV. You can pause and rewind live tv. You can also set your tv to record entire seasons of your favorite shows and can keep them for as long as you want (or until the disk is full). A DVR doesn't actually use tapes. It just saves everything to a hard drive. It's the best invention ever!

February 15, 2006 10:02 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Congratulations on joining the 21st century! :)

February 16, 2006 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home