My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Monday, January 30, 2006

Decisions, decisions

Kim and I are not going to be able to go to the Bitter Ball after all. The gala for my shelter is going to start too late on that day. And I'm probably going to have to stay to help clean up and stuff, so we're not really going to have time to do both. It kind of sucks, but oh well. It's a good thing that we didn't buy our tickets yet. But Kim volunteered to help me at the gala. She's going to go and volunteer her time since she never has a chance to go out or anything. Of course this all hinges on Dave keeping the kids for her that night. I swear, he can be such a jerk sometimes. Every time she wants him to keep the kids, he acts like he's doing her such a great big favor and she has to practically beg him to do it. I don't know why he doesn't want to spend time with his kids. He just doesn't want the responsibility, I guess. And it really pisses me off because every time he leaves Kim's place, he says "I'll be praying for both of you." As if we need his prayers. What does his God think about the fact that he never wants to take care of his kids? Yeah, he needs to focus on himself.

Anyway, my sister isn't working out too well with my dad's business. They got into an argument last week because she didn't do something he asked her to and then she lied about it. He actually gave her this entire week off, so I am covering the phones all this week. He's forwarding the calls to my cell phone on the days that I am here watching Kim's kids. I don't mind. It's extra money. He said that he may fire her, so I may be doing it every day from now on. Jenifer (my sister) is so awful. She just wants to take advantage of her father. She thinks that she can do whatever she wants and be as lazy as she wants and he's just going to put up with it because she's his daughter. He has a business to run and he can't put up with incompetent people.

I found out this past weekend that my shelter is looking for people to work part-time. I mentioned that I would be interested in working there. The woman I was speaking to mentioned it to the shelter director. The shelter director spoke to me and said that she would be interested in hiring me. I'm supposed to e-mail my resume to her this week. If I get the job, that will be three jobs that I have, plus school. The only shifts my schedule is going to allow me to work is overnights (11pm to 7am). I'm sure I could handle three jobs. I have before. But an overnight job is going to take a lot out of me. And if I have to work overnights and go to another day job every single day, I am so never going to sleep again. That may be wearing myself a bit thin. I guess I have to see if they'll hire me or not and see how much they're going to need me to work (since it will be only part-time). If I so get hired, I would really like to work there. It's good experience and I'm sure the pay will be better than $6/hour (which is what I'm at right now). I may have to give up one of my jobs. Now, I wouldn't do that without giving two weeks notice. Even though I'm working for my dad and my best friend, I would still want to do that.

I just feel bad about quitting on either of them. If I do go to full-time with dad, then I will be the only employee he has to answer the phones. If I quit on Kim, she may have to find a day care place, which will be more expensive. This is why you shouldn't work with family or friends. Things get more complicated. But I have to do what's best for me in the long run, right? Does that sound too selfish? I hope not. I know I'm going to feel bad regardless of who I stop working for. I guess I'll just have to see if I get hired at the shelter or not. And I have to see if my dad is going to let my sister go. Then, we'll see where I'm at.

By the way. . . in case anyone's interested, I am pretty much finished with the rough draft of my Ethics paper. Woo-hoo! It's not due until a week from now so I will have all week to edit and edit and then edit some more. And I'm sure I will.

2 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

No, you're not being selfish. It's not like you're slacking (like your sister). You're being respectable.. and working toward your goals. You can only do so much.. and you cannot and should not be held back because of friends and family. If they truly loved you (and they do) they will understand that to move up (and out) you need to concentrate on yourself and your immediate prospects. :)

January 30, 2006 11:05 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

My friend Cathy and I were talking about going to the Bitter Ball too. Not sure if it's going to happen or not though.

January 31, 2006 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home