My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Monday, February 27, 2006

All good things must come to an end

Today was Luke's final day. :( So sad. We woke up and got Luke packed. Then we headed to Waffle House for his final meal. And gee, it was so hard finding one. It's not like there's one on every corner or something. The breakfast was delicious naturally. It was also very fattening. Naturally. Traffic was crazy. I am so tired of damn construction traffic. I haven't spent twenty minutes waiting to merge in months. I would have taken a shortcut, but I didn't think it would be that bad. It was 11 am for crying out loud. I hate Georgia traffic. And I'm pretty sure Luke hates it, too. I did get Luke to the airport exactly one hour before his flight. he called me later though and told me that Airtran overbooked the flight and he missed it. Seriously, what the hell is wrong with Airtran? I hate them. But they're the cheapest so I'll probably still use them. Damn me and my lack of money. The good news is that Luke told me that he got a direct flight back to Rochester. The bad news is that it wasn't until 9:00 that night so he was stuck. I would have gone to the airport to keep him company, but I had a final to study for. Plus, I had to go to the shelter for a few hours. I felt so bad for him. :( I was really sad to see him go anyway. It was great hanging out with him again. I think I'm going to try to get out there for a weekend when it gets warmer and we can hang out outside more.

This morning, I did get a call from my shelter director and she formally offered me the part-time job at the shelter. Woo-hoo! I'm so excited. It's a great opportunity. I'll probably start this weekend. It just depends on when I can get there to fill out paperwork. My grandmother said that her prayers got me the job. I respectfully disagree. I think my experience and qualifications got me the job. God had nothing to do with it. Jesus. I hate it when religious people pull that crap. Oy. I didn't really say anything negative to my grandmother though. I just said I disagreed and we quickly changed the subject. I think I'm going to take a page from Luke's book and stop beating a dead horse, so to speak. There's really no point in debating with close-minded people (i.e. my family) about things that they are never going to change their minds about. It's really pointless.

So I took my Ethics final tonight. I was really worried about it going in, but I did a great job. I got a 95. Woo-hoo! I was upset because I got a point taken off for spelling. I'm not mad at the professor for taking points off for that. I'm just mad at myself for making a stupid mistake because I was rushing. I guess I'll learn from it though, right? My final grade in the class is a 97, so I'm extremely happy. My professor had a lot of good things to say to me. He said that I was a "superlative student." I told him I was considering a doctoral program and he said I should do it. He warned me that it would be hard, but said that I had the brains for it and that it would require of me what I am capable of. I just don't think I am going to tell my family about it. I can only imagine their reactions. I'll tell them about it if I apply to one and if I get in. Until then, I'm not going to worry about it.

Now it's late and I am watching all the programs that I missed while Luke was here. Ahhh. . . good times, good times.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lynda said...

Sounds like you had a great trip. Who is in charge of your sunglasses now?

February 28, 2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Lynda,

The trip was fabulous. And I could never really count on Luke to be in charge of my sunglasses anyway. Looks like I'm going to have to do it the old fashioned way and actually take charge of them myself. Dammit.

February 28, 2006 5:30 PM  
Blogger Tatyanna (and Dorian too) said...

Congrats on the class and job. I have those kinds of conversations with my mom (like the one you had with your grandma) all the time. Then afterwards, she is just disappointed and dismayed, and I know I'll never change her mind and I feel guilty. Blah.

March 01, 2006 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home