My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Politically Incorrect

Today, I was in my pajamas which consisted of my "Atheist" T-shirt. An interesting thing. . . Kim commented that the shirt was politically incorrect and that if I were to were that outside, that I would be shot. Now I'm not sure but I believe that those few comments are a direct reflection of the society in which I live. I think it's interesting that my shirt would be considered politically incorrect simply because it expressed a viewpoint that was different from 90% of the population around here. What's up with that? Kind of annoying and frustrating if you ask me. And what would happen if I were to go along with the crowd and wear a shirt that said, "Christian?" Well, then everyone would love me. Fabulous. When I mentioned that I got the shirt in L.A., she also made some comment about it would figure that I would get a shirt like that in L.A. That was a little stereotypical and I'm not sure what she meant by that, but there is a huge religious population on the West Coast. Believe me, I know. Anyway, Why is it that most non-religious people of accepting of different people's viewpoints, but the same can not be said of religious people? I've noticed that I'm a lot more tolerant than others. Kim is a Christian and apparently, she thinks my shirt is politically incorrect. Why? Because she disagrees with the viewpoint that is expressed on it. But just as she doesn't mind expressing her religious views, I have no problems expressing my atheist ones. And that's just the way it is.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock on, Uno! I totally respect that and wish I had an atheist shirt! At least I have my Darwin fish. . .

:) Laura

October 27, 2005 6:21 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Good attitude. To each their own I always say. You may not always agree on what others do or say, but you should respect their right to do or say it. Just my 2 cents worth.

October 28, 2005 7:45 PM  
Blogger SS said...

Yeah, there is this total double standard when it comes to religion. We, as Americans, have freedom of religion and freedom of speech, but if you use your freedom of speech to express an anti-religion view you are going to gef flogged for it (or at least called immoral and a downright bad person). Whatever, just tell them to go to Hell -- it's a scary statement for them, not so scary for you =)

November 08, 2005 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home