My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Interesting Fact

I heard an interesting statistic the other day. I'm sitting in Human Development class and we're discussing marriage. . . my favorite topic. And in case you can't miss the sarcasm, don't worry. It's there. My professor was talking about something that she had heard. We all know that over half of all marriages end in divorce. That's not really anything new. Do you want to know the really staggering fact? 93% of all people who stay married are unhappy. Can you believe that? 93%?? That's unbelievable! Why do these people stay married? Is it fear of being alone For the sake of the children? Frankly, I think both of those reasons are crap. If you stay together for the sake of the children, the only thing that you are teaching them is that you should remain unhappy and keep all of your emotions hid. Great lesson. This guy I know, Luke, says that he believes human beings are incapable of monogamy and that humans are incapable of staying with the same person for the rest of their lives. I guess I'm an optimist because I think that's just a load of crap. But then again, he's a man so I guess he's supposed to say things like that.

There are couples who have been together for practically forever, which I've always found comforting. Now, I'm just thinking. . . are they happy? I guess if you've been with someone for 40 years, why would you want to split up and start over with someone else? Dating is exhausting and hard. I swear, it feels like I'm going to be single forever, especially if I marry someone who thinks like Luke. My family keeps hinting that I'm going to be single forever. They probably think that I will since I'm not married already. Yeah, I should be just like my family. Every single person in my family (with the exception of my grandparents) married when they were in their late teens and early twenties and then divorced barely ten years later (if that). Why should I be in a hurry to follow their path? So I guess my two options are two get married and divorced or get married, stay married, and be miserable. Wow. Can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home