My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Withdrawals

Caffeine withdrawals are a bitch. (As are junk food withdrawals.) The past few weeks, I have fallen off the wagon and have been living on sweet tea. Ahh. . . sweet tea. Sunday night, I borrowed (re: stole) two of my dad's Mountain Dews. I can't believe I drank two in one night. I hadn't drank Mountain Dew in over a year and they were as good as I remembered. Okay, so it may be unnatural for a beverage to be that color, but they are sooo good and soooo addicting. I have also had numerous binges on Taco Bell, Dairy Queen (their new Flame Thrower Burger is AMAZING), Wendy's, and Mexican food. I even had one binge at the Waffle House. And have I been exercising through all of this? Ha. Maybe my depression isn't quite gone after all. But I think it's easing up because I'm starting to see that this is been hell on my body.

Last night, on my way home from class I had an overwhelming urge for Taco Bell. I was starving and I wanted some fat and caffeine. Of course I told myself it would be the last time. Like every addict, I've told myself that same thing over the last couple of weeks. But I resisted the urge and it was. . . so. . . hard. I went home and had cereal instead. Yeah, Yogurt Burst Cheerios compared with a Chili Cheese Burrito. That was the same thing. So now I'm feeling very fatigued and I have a little bit of a headache that I'm pretty sure is from withdrawals. And if I know my caffeine withdrawal symptoms (and I think I do), it's only going to get worse. Last time I was off caffeine, I went 17 months without a drop. Let's see if I can get off of it for good this time. I remember that the first couple of weeks are the hardest, so I just have to make it through the hump.

I have been saying "I need to go off caffeine" for the past couple weeks and I hate that expression." I HATE it when people say "I need" or "I can't." The phrase "I need" usually means "I want to but I just don't feel like it right now." The phrase "I can't" ALWAYS means "I just don't want to." I try never to use that particular phrase.

On a happy note, my class is finally over! I'm pretty sure I got an "A" in it. I even did an exam for extra credit, even though I didn't really need to. Now I have the rest of the week to relax. I still have my Spanish class later this week, but I like that class. Good times, good times.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I've a rather bad caffeine addiction myself. It comes in the form of a pee green fizzy liquid called V. It's one of those energy boost drinks. Bad Bad BAD!

Congrats on finishing your class, and the expected A! whoop!

October 28, 2005 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home