My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Monday, August 08, 2005

Family Drama

Today, I decided to skip my sister's birthday celebration. Why? Because I just didn't want to go. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to make plans at the last minute, but I called Seth when I woke up and luckily he was free. We decided to meet at the Mall of Georgia to see a movie and have lunch together. We saw "Must Love Dogs," which was so funny. Got a little cheesy at the end but other than that it was a good movie.

Later, I called my grandmother and she wanted to know why I wasn't at the lunch. I told her that I had plans. She said that Jenifer gave them a completely different story about what happened when I asked her to pick me up from the airport (big surprise). She told them that she had told me she just didn't want to come pick me up because she wasn't comfortable driving on the interstate and she had never really done it. That whole thing is just crap. Jenifer lied (as usual). I told my grandmother that I wasn't planning on talking to my sister anymore because there really was no need.

Here's my thing. Family is just a matter of biology. It's like a hand of poker. Sometimes you're lucky and you get a good hand and other times. . . not so much. I think that if there are people in your life who don't care about you and who don't do anything but hurt you, then you shouldn't be around them. A lot of my friends know most of the history surrounding why I don't speak to my mother (if not all), so they completely undertstand why I wouldn't want to have anything to do with her. My family knows the history too, but because she gave birth to me, I'm supposed to ignore everything. I don't quite work that way. If she were a friend who had done the things that she has done, no one would question my reasons for cutting her out of my life. But because she was stupid enough to have a baby at 19, I have to put up with all the crap that she has dished out. The same goes for my sister because she has been the same way.

Family is an accident of biology and sometimes you're one of the lucky ones and you appreciate the accident. I do have a couple of family members that I can count on. However, I have friends that I consider family to me. I don't think that you have to be related by blood to be family. Jenifer thinks you do. . . but then again, she's an idiot. I fully intend to adopt when I have kids. I have my reasons for not wanting to have a child "naturally." Even if a person doesn't have reasons, I think people should consider adoption. There are so many orphans in the world and it's overpopulated enough. Whenever I tell someone I'm going to adopt, I dread the question, "Why wouldn't you want to have any kids of your own?" When I adopt, it will be my child. Pregnancy won't make it any more special. Besides, Cindy pointed out to me all the work that is involved with adoption. You have to go through background checks, interviews, you have to fly across the world to get your child. So you have to fight for your child. That makes it your own. To me, that's a lot more special than a natural pregnancy. I mean, how many brain cells does it take to fertilize the sperm and the egg? About as many brain cells as it takes to forget a condom. Seriously.

Sorry for the long ramble today, but this whole family drama thing just irritated me. But I won't let it irritate me anymore. There's no point. Thanks for listening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home