My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Monday, July 11, 2005

"I know I'm old enough to be your daddy. . . "

Ahhh. . . the joys of online dating. For those of you who are either in a relationship or have no interest in a relationship, I applaud you. Seriously, it's rough out there. Sometimes I don't know why I even bother.

So I made my profile active again on match.com and I joined eharmony again. . . that one was against my better judgment and Seth might yell at me for that one. The reason being that eharmony refuses to match gay couples and we think they might be prejudiced. I just joined again because I think I might actually have some success. So far, so good. They match you pretty well on that site to what you're looking for. They're different because you don't look for the matches; they search for you based on the criteria you're looking for and your personality.

Lately, the only guys who have been winking or e-mailing me on match.com are guys who are either too old or they smoke or they're religious or they have kids or they're out of state or I can tell that they're only interested in one thing. I had one 45-year-old guy e-mail me today and he wrote, "I know I'm old enough to be your daddy, but if you ever want a fun friend let me know." Gee I wonder what he's talking about. At least I'm not paying for that service. Sooo not worth it.

Eharmony is much better. I'm being matched with guys that are actually cool. You have to go through a series of questions before you decide if you want to e-mail the person or not. But you e-mail them through eharmony so it's completely anonymous. I'm talking to this one guy right now who seems cool. He's a stock analyst, very funny and loves history. Of course, he's only 23. I don't usually date younger guys. They matched me to him before I changed my settings on there to what I required regarding age. But I think I'm going to see where it goes. And it seems like he wants to take it slow, which is good. After my recent breakup with Robert, I'm not really ready to jump into anything yet. So I'm just going to see which match on eharmony works best and go from there. There are several that are good possibilities. This is the only one that I'm in the e-mail stage though. But there is this one guy and one of the questions I chose to ask him was to describe his spirituality. He said that he was raised Roman Catholic, but that he does not discuss his current religious beliefs with anyone because he prefers to keep them to himself. What does that mean? So if we started dating, would he ever tell me? Seems a little weird, I guess. Haven't decided if I want to continue e-mailing him because of that, but maybe I will. I mean, I specifically asked eharmony not to match me with anyone religious. The most I will accept is spiritual, but not religious.

Anyway, so dating is hard, exhausting work. Hurricane Dennis has left a lot of flooding for Georgia to deal with. Oh, I can't wait to go to L.A. I'm so sick of this weather. This weekend has been very productive though. I am now not only caught up in my class, but I am ahead. I also did a lot of "spring" cleaning. I know, I know. . . it's a little late. It's July and I'm just now packing up winter clothes to make room for all my summer stuff. Whatever, I've been busy. Don't judge me too harshly, okay? The Special K Diet is going well, although I'm pretty much hungry all day until I eat my dinner. This is going to be a long 2 weeks. I hope it works. I just hope I don't get sick of Special K . . . it's the only healthy cereal I like.

2 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 11, 2005 10:49 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

I don't think you should dismiss someone outright because they were raised Roman Catholic and keep their own beliefs to themselves anymore.

My family is all Roman Catholic. I was partially raised Catholic (without all those stupid ceremonies in the beginning like baptism and whatnot). I know other people who have felt shafted by Rome and have pretty much just went it alone, in their heads. I mean, if you stop going to church, you're not longer a good Catholic and his family might have made him feel really bad about it. So he may not want to talk about it. And you shouldn't force him to.

Maybe he'll be the sweetest guy you'll ever meet. Besides me of course. Give it a shot. Maybe you need someone that has good moral training but without the drone-like idealism that religion brings.

July 11, 2005 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home