My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Balkanization of what now??

It's interesting just how stupid and narrow minded some Americans can be. I mean, we're the richest country in the world. You would think some people could ease up a little bit. Of course the price of that is that some of us are also the most arrogant. Below is an e-mail that we received from one of our customers the other day. I think it's one of the stupidest complaints we've gotten. . . other than the guy who once complained because he was discriminated against because he got crummy French Fries.


"My daughter & I just stopped by for a bite to eat at
your store located at Jefferson Village FSU in
Littleton, CO. We always enjoy the food and especially
appreciate the 'closed on Sundays' philosophy.
However, I don't believe we'll be patronizing this
location any longer because as my daughter & I sat
eating our food, the majority of the employees started
speaking Spanish. Not only was this rude and
inconsiderate towards your guests, it contributes to
the Balkanization of our country. As we approach the
Independence Day holiday this weekend, it is
disheartening to see individuals living and working in
our country who have no interest in being Americans.
It is also disappointing to know that a business would
contribute to this problem by allowing its employees
to conduct business in this manner. Albeit small, my
power as a consumer will be leveraged to help our
country remain one of a single society - not one where
we have separate languages and cultures. We will no
longer be patronizing this Chick-fil-a location and
possibly any other Chick-fil-a store due to this
unforntunate set of circumstances."

I'm actually surprised that e-mail didn't come from someone in the South. I actually thought a woman wrote this e-mail at first (sexist, I know), but it was a man. It's amazing that he thinks people who speak a different language than he does isn't being American and he talks about how he wants America to consist of one society. . . heaven forbid we actually have separate cultures. Isn't America supposed to be a melting pot? He's probably one of those hyprocrites who brags about how America is so diverse and then complains about it at the same time. I swear, some Americans. . . .

If you'll notice the time of this post it's very, very early. I woke up at 4:00 am this morning and was unable to get back to sleep. I don't know what it is, but sleeping has been very difficult for me lately. Of course during the weekend, I slept a lot. . . . probably because I was depressed. I had a horrible migraine yesterday, but I managed to work through it as I have no personal days left. I have a couple vacation days, but you can't use those to call in sick. Oy. I also went to class sick. Since I am going to be missing 2 classes for my trip to L.A., I can't afford to miss any more. But I managed it. Still not sure how. Those of you who have seen me with a migraine know I can barely walk with those things. Yet walk I did and I still managed the hour long drive home in the rain. Just remnants of tropical storm Cindy. . . I love that there is a storm named after me. Hehe.

Well now that I have my blog post out of my system it's time to get ready for work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home