My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Doubtful

Did you ever have one of those days where you doubted your entire profession? I had a really, really, really bad day at the shelter on Sunday. Yeah, did I mention I had a bad day? I can't really discuss the exact details of the case because everything is confidential. Let's just say that I dealt with a really tough case and I think I didn't handle it as well as I could have. I know that I'm still a "rookie" in this profession and that I'm bound to make mistakes. I am human, after all. Sunday was the day where it really hit me that what I do matters. And this case happened within the first two hours of my shift, so I still had six hours to go. Six. . . long. . . hours. I had more crisis calls, crisis with residents, chaos with the children. For a Sunday, it was a little insane. Hell, for Easter Sunday, it was insane. By the end of the day, I had an enormous headache. I literally felt like crying. My early morning case just made me doubt my abilities as a (future) therapist. But I have to take this as a lesson learned for future cases.

You want to know what the worst part of the day was? I had to immediately go home for a family dinner. Probably wouldn't have been so bad if my sister wasn't there. I swear she did not shut up the ENTIRE time and of course, it is all about her. She was upset because I may not be there for the birth of her second baby (which is 2 months away anyway). I told her that if I'm not working, I would be happy to be there. I said that if she goes into labor when I'm working for dad, there's not going to be anyone else to work obviously (since she's usually the other person who answers the phones). I told her if I'm working the battered women's shelter, I will only be able to miss work there if I'm able to get someone to cover for me. They do operate 24/7 and it is a crisis environment. They can't shut down because I'm not there. She made some snippy comment about how she can't just go into labor on my day off. How self-involved is that? I'm sorry, but unlike her, I don't like letting down people who are depending on me. I think hearing her voice is probably worse than dealing with the cases I deal with. Eh, it's a toss-up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

Wow. Will you be there for the birth of my baby? And if you say no, we're done!

April 18, 2006 2:12 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Working at a crisis centre like that must certainly be an eye opener. What a challenging job!

Your sister can't expect you to drop everything and run to her in your situtation. Women have babies all the time, it's a wondrous, beautiful miracle of life. But it's obviously not going to be possible for you to just stop what you're doing and rush off to witness that, under various circumstances. Lord knows what you could be in the middle of.

April 18, 2006 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home