My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Black White

There's an interesting show on the FX network that I've gotten into. It's called Black White. A white family and a black family switch places to see what it is like to be a member of the other race. The white family gets in black make-up and vice versa. The makeup looks so realistic, too. They totally pull it off. Anyway, I was talking to my father the other day about it. Big mistake. I happened to mention that an example of prejudice is that people always think that blacks shoplift and they follow them around in stores. My dad feels that this does not happen and even if it does, what do they care as long as they're not stealing? Oh brother. I don't think I would like to be followed around in a department store. I don't care who they are or why they're doing it. It would be creepy. My dad's living in a fantasy world and I told him so. Did it do any good? Hardly.

I think that I'm just going to stop talking about stuff like that with my family from now on. I mean, I love them and I know they love me. In a lot of ways, they are very intelligent. They can just be ignorant about certain things. I don't know if that comes from being raised in the South or what. My family did start talking about race earlier tonight. I hate it when they start generalizing about how all black people are on welfare and they always cry racism (even when it's not warranted) and how apparently a black woman has more rights than anyone (according to my grandmother). My family are the only ones who can turn living in the city a bad thing. Their theory is that the only reason there are so many minorities in big cities is because they have public transportation and there is no need for a car. Okay, does that really make a person lazy? When I go to San Francisco or L.A. (or any other big city) to live, I may not keep my car. It would save me a lot of money and it would force me to get a lot of exercise by walking everywhere. I told them that, but I don't think it made a dent. My uncle started talking about other countries and blah, blah, blah. Yeah, he should be talking about what other countries do. He doesn't want to go to Italy or Ireland because there are a lot of Muslims there. I know, I know. I really don't even know where to begin with that one. And then, I just couldn't take anymore so I asked them to change the subject. It's like Luke said when he came down here. There really isn't any point in debating issues with them. They're close-minded and more than a little ignorant. It would be like having a conversation with a brick wall. My family just makes me tired. Oh well. I have to deal with the fact that their opinion on certain things (everything, actually) are never going to change.

Good news for Simpsons fans: they're coming to the big screen! In July of 2007, there will be a Simpsons movie. Woo-hoo. I believe the trailer for it is before the Ice Age movie. I heard about it and became absurdly excited. How pathetic is that?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tatyanna (and Dorian too) said...

I'm SO with you on the Simpsons thing! It's really gonna be a movie? Promise? I cannot WAIT!!

I saw clips on Oprah (and the families were guests) and several of those "inside edition" type of shows from the Black-White show. The only thing I wished was different was that the two families (but especially the white one) seemed like they were verrry ignorant about race in the first place. The black family seemed to have a huge chip on its collective shoulder, and the white family was just humiliatingly (because I'm white) ignorant.

I suppose that's why they were chosen, because there was so much potential for embarassing and weird situations (good tv). But I wish it were more middle-ground families living that way.

On one episode, I guess the white mom (made up as black) says "What's up Bitch?" or something to another black woman she hardly knows. Then she starts crying, because she just "thought that's how 'they' talk to one another." Who's that stupid? Maybe I'm the one that's naive. Bollocks.

April 01, 2006 7:13 PM  
Blogger RedNeckGirl said...

I haven't seen the show yet but it looks very interesting. You sound like a very smart and open minded individual living in a family of tradionalist, I know the feeling. There are topics that I just don't discuss with my family, such as race, gay rights and alternative religions.....my family are wonderful loving people but tend to stereotype people before they get to know them.

April 04, 2006 11:55 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

Your family was incredibly kind, but yeah.. I wouldn't want to hold up a discussion with them against their stances. It would be so tiring and mindnumbing.

April 05, 2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

A Simpson's movie! Hot damn.

April 06, 2006 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home