My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Monday, August 02, 2004

Catch-up Blog

Okay, so I know that it's been a long time since my last blog (please forgive me), but I'll try to catch everyone up. When I last left off, I was preparing for three 12-hour days in a row. I ended up working 63 hours that week. I know, I know. Insanity! But we got all caught up with Chick-fil-A. Everyone was very impressed with me. I was very impressed with me. The week ended with the promise of Seth coming to visit, which I was really looking forward to. On Saturday night he came over and it was great fun. He didn't get there until 12:30 am, which was more than enough time for me to grab a nap and dinner at Sonic. I had gotten him a Hot Fudge Sundae and he was thrilled with the late night treat. We were very excited about going to see Madonna the next day. We wake up to a beautiful day on Sunday. We get ready and head to Target to get me a calculator and lotion (great combo) and then to the concert. However, my body disappoints me yet again and I come down with the horrible migraine that has been coming on for three weeks. Damn, damn, damn, and damn again. So no concert. I feel really, really bad. I know how much Seth was looking forward to it. He's disappointed, but says he's not mad. We head back home, watch Face/Off, and then Seth goes home. I head to bed to prepare for an early day.

So, on Monday (the 26th), I'm up to 5:00 to prepare to be at work by 7. It's an early day. I'm leaving work early to go to the first part of an interview with DFCS. The day goes by quickly and I head to the interview. The first part is strictly a written exam. The head guy tells all of us that there are 8 to 10 vacancies, but 400 applicants. Ouch. He also said that we could expect a caseload of roughly 1000 cases. Ouch again. That's okay though. I thrive on pressure. The written exam is tough, but not impossible. It's mostly to gauge how good we are with accuracy and details. The guy said that only the people who passed would get a call for a second interview, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I then head to my grandmother's to see her before I head out of town this week. We have fun talking and I decide to stay for dinner with my family. Big mistake. We got into a huge political discussion (they started it) about abortion, gay rights, Bush vs. Kerry, religion, the death penalty, etc. It's funny to hear Republicans speak. They're so damn scared that people are out to get their money. I was getting very worked up. But I am a very passionate person. And then they get on this whole kick about how Seth (my gay best friend) is secretly in love with me and I should "jump his bones and see what happens." As if. I can't even deal with that mess. Eventually, I leave. The next night, I go to my grandmother's again to pick something up and have dinner and again my family starts talking politics. Of course, it doesn't get as heavy cause we're being shallow and mostly talking about how everyone looks. I leave. The next day, I work and come home to pack for my Rochester trip and watch the Democratic National Convention.

Thursday, I'm up at 4 am to shower and get ready for work. I'm leaving for Rochester today. Yay!! The best part of the day?? I get a call back from DFCS. . . they asked me for a second interview!! I am so excited. And incredibly nervous. The day goes by quickly and then I go to meet my father at his UPS store so that he can take me to the airport. And wouldn't you know it? My biggest mistake in my entire 24 years, James, is there working. He gets a big kick out of joking that my dad isn't there cause he's off and not coming in today. I believe it for a split second. Then he asks me if I want to play "Scrabble" again. Ugh. Could he be any more obvious? He says I look great with the weight loss, blah, blah, blah. He tries to grill me for information on who I'm going to see in Rochester. I don't give him much. . . let him think what he wants to. (Sorry Luke). Then Dad arrivs and we fight rush hour to get to the airport. My flight is delayed of course. I was scheduled to leave at 8:05 and arrive in Rochester at 10:25. We don't take off until after 9:30 and so I don't get into Rochester until after 11:00. The first person who greets me is Dos. Yay!! She has lost so much weight and she looks fabulous. We talk and laugh while we wait for my luggage. Luke was waiting out front, so we go out to see him and he looks awesome too. And Dos surprised me with Taco Bell!! God, I have not had Taco Bell in MONTHS!! The only thing she got me that I can't have anymore is Mountain Dew. God, I was sooo tempted to drink some. But oh well, The chicken quesadilla and taco are EXCELLENT! I'm in town for less than an hour and we're back to our old routine. . . Taco Bell and Lifetime TV. Good times, good times. I've missed this. Luke goes to bed around 1:00. Dos and I go back to her room, where I am reunited with her rats. Then, we head back to Luke's, where we watch Golden Girls and stay up till 5 talking. I'm surprised to hear just how much she has loved and watched he tape I made her, but I'm happy. And she's thrilled to have another tape. I'm so glad we're both Golden Girls freaks. Even though I'm up for more than 24 hours, I don't feel that tired. Luke also has a cat that attacks my hair several times throughout the night. She's cute, but I'm pretty sure she's posessed by the devil or Bush.

Friday is here and I only got 7 hours of sleep, but I'm good. And it's so great that I don't have to work today. It's rainy, but I don't care. Luke had to go to work, so Dos and I pick him up at 12 to spend some quality time. Dos picks THAT moment to tell me that she's leaving for Philadelphia in a few HOURS to see Kim. Okay, so that pisses me off. Cindy has obviously known about this for a while, but did she warn me? And when Kim invited her to a Sarah concert, couldn't she have said no?? I mean, she hadn't seen me in a year and then she dumps me when something better comes along. Oh well. We pick up a rental car for her and then drop Luke back at work. Then it's off to Golden Port, which I have been craving for months. It is even better than I remember. Then, it's back to Luke's place for our goosbyes. Then I watch TV and fold my blankets and whatnot to get them out of the way. Laura comes over after work to see me. Yay! She looks great as usual. We spend some time chatting and catching up. Then, we go to her apartment so she can change. She has a great apartment. Then, we're back to Luke's house to wait for him to come over for dinner. His friend Linda also comes over (she's very nice) and Kerri comes over too. It was great seeing her again also. We go to this great restaurant, Raging Burrito, where the burritos are the size of your head (well, almost). It's excellent. Then Laura, Luke, Kerri, and I go to see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It's a pretty good movie. Weird, but good. Then we go back to Luke's place. Kerri and Laura leave and it's just me and Luke. We have fun watching TV (which, according to Luke, gets raunchy after midnight). We end up watching Discovery Health, which is showing all these plastic surgeries. It's interesting though. Around 1:00 or so, we go to bed.

The next morning, we're up at 9:30 or so. Luke goes to run errands and then comes back so that we can go eat breakfast and spend some more quality time together. We went to Jay's Diner, which I haven't been to in a year (probably because I haven't been in town for a year). After some yummy French toast and nice Luke quality time, we're back to Luke's so that he can get ready for the wedding that he has to go to (and that I am crashing). Laura comes over and wraps the wedding gift and we're off for a 2-hour drive to the wedding. The wedding is a nice ceremony. The bride's dress is absolutely gorgeous. It is a long Catholic ceremony though. Ugh. We're all thinking it. Then we go to the reception, which is decorated nicely. We have a great dinner and Laura and I have fun talking about what we want for our weddings. It's funny cause Laura is practically engaged and I have no one. I hae to feel sorry for myself, but I'm so damn lonely. I'm not sure if Luke has very much sympathy for me. I get down and tired for a while, but then we have great fun dancing the night away. I had never done the Electric Slide or the Chicken Dance before and I really had a lot of fun. We all did. Then we go home around 11:00 or so. Laura and I fall asleep in the car and Luke has to stay awake all by himself. Poor thing. We all go back to Luke's and Laura is sleeping over. Yay!

It is my last day. :( We wake up and Luke wants to go get some bagels for breakfast. I'm not that hungry, so Laura and Luke go eat, while I shower and make myself beautiful (doesn't take very long). Then they come back and we go to Park Laigh, a very cool Rochester store that I had never been to before. We browse for a while, I buy some candy, and then we leave. We try to go to the poster store, but it's closed on Sundays. Dammit. It's okay cause we go to lunch at Uno's. Amazing chili and burgers. Yum yum! We have so much fun taking pictures and laughing at absolutely nothing. We also talk about the possibility of coming back in October for Meloria Weekend and I think I will. I love it here. Crazy, I know. We also talk about Laura and Luke both coming to see me in Georgia. I hope they do. I miss them and I would love to show Laura everything. Luke says he loved Georgia, which makes me happy. Anyway, then we go to Charlotte beach to walk the pier and eat ice cream. It is a beautiful day. Then, it's a rush to get back home and get me to the airport. Of course, I make it. I'm sad about leaving Luke and Laura. And I am pissed off that Dos did not make it back in time, like she said she would. She didn't even call me. Whatever. The plane is full again and it is filled with screaming babies. Again. I start talking to the guy sitting next to me, who is from Jamaica. Of course he has 3 children, the oldest of which is 16. Yikes. I am finally back in Georgia. Yech. The heat is unbelievable. It's 88 degrees, but I swear it feels like 90-something. The heat just slaps you in the face. I've been gone for three days and I've forgotten how humid it is. Dad takes me to get my car and I head home. I spend the next several hours doing nothing. It's good to be home.

It's Monday and I'm up at 9:00 am. I spend several hours watching TV and unpacking. Then I go to the doctor. Good news! He tells me that my knee is fine and it doesn't feel like it'll pop out again. He said that I can wean myself off the brace and that I need to do exercises to strengthen my knee. I go home and eat a Lean Pockets for lunch. Then I spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning, unpacking, and trying to de-clutter my room. I now have 5 trash bags of garbage. I also download pictures for Luke and Laura. After MANY attempts, Laura finally gets them from my computer. I look up stuff for Meloria weekend. I decide that I'll buy my tickets for stuff after I find out if I get the new job or not. If I do, then I probably won't be able to go. I can't wait though. I hate it here in Georgia. But tickets are on sale, so I'll get them when I find out, which will be soon. Then, I spend the rest of the night catching up on my blog, showering, watching TV, and doing laundry. After a fabulous break from work, I must go back tomorrow. But I also have an early morning interview for the DFCS job, so keep your fingers crossed!! Bye bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home