My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Fourth of July weekend

Saturday. . .
Okay, this was a long and crazy weekend and I'll try to catch everyone up with it. On Saturday, I'm up at 5 am to head off to work. Oy, so exhausting. The day goes by fast though. Of course, the day wouldn't be complete without an idot customer on the phone. First, he calls me "honey" and "baby." What the hell is that about? I don't even know this guy. He's complaining about Chick-fil-A and he keeps talking about how much money he spends and how he spends $200 a week at Applebee's. Okay, Applebee's isn't even that good! And I'll I'm thinking is: please go to Applebee's and stop bothering me!! I maintain my calm though and 30 minutes later, he's off my line. The rest of the day passes rather uneventfully and I'm off to my grandmother's. I walk in the door and I get the greatest greeting from my grandmother. She says, "My God, look how little you've gotten!" And my sister comments about how my butt is smaller. Excellent. And then the conversation inevitably returns to my sister and her baby. We begin to talk about the fact that my cousin is getting married because his girlfriend is pregnant. Apparently, Jenifer (my sister) believes that my cousin's girlfriend got pregnant simply to take the spotlight away from Jenifer. She doesn't even want to go to the wedding because no one will be focused on her. Can you say, "self-involved"?? Anyway, Jenifer, Dad, and I go out to dinner and the conversation turns to politics. It's so interesting to discuss politics with a Republican. They don't really care about anyone but themselves. Oh well. We do agree that we are perfectly okay with the legalization of drugs and prostitution. Yay. Then, we're back to my grandmother's, where we watch Office Space (fabulous movie). Of course, I get a terrible migraine in the middle of it and by the time it's over, I'm ready for bed.

Sunday. . .
YES!! 8 hours of uniterrupted sleep and I don't have to work today!! How happy am I?? We all get up and head off to breakfast at McDonald's and then we're going to Sam's Club so I get a membership. Apparently, the DVD box sets are so much cheaper there. So I get my membership and also a couple of new workout DVD's, including one on Bellydancing. Yay for me. Then we're off to my dad's for a 4th of July cookout. We get there at 11:30 and they are no where near ready to begin cooking, even though we were told that we would eat at 12. My sister is seriously bummed because she wanted to go to my uncle's pool and we probably won't get there until late. And Jenifer is so immature she keeps blabbing about how much she wants to go work on her tan. My God, get over it!! My grandmother starts feeling ill because she is still getting over the flu and we all leave early. This makes Jenifer extraordinarily happy. Of course, on the way home, it begins raining. . . for the millionth day in a row. This makes Jenifer unhappy. We go inside to wait out the rain and Jenifer and my grandmother begin gossiping about Sheila, my dad's bitchy girlfriend. This goes on for way too long and I get sick of it. So I ask them nicely if we can talk about something else. And of course, my pregnant, hormonal sister blows up and accuses me of trying to change her, acting like I'm better than everyone else, being selfish, blah, blah, blah. Basically, she's accusing me of being just like her. So she does her spiled brat thing, threatens to go home (please do), and then eventually the sun comes back out and all is forgiven because Jenifer wants to enjoy the sun. We go to the pool, where Jenifer begins joking about how she was unconscious when she got pregnant. And my cousin's friends are there and she's never even met these guys. But she says that she doesn't care about what people think of her. Well obviously. We swim, there's rain, we leave, my Dad and Sheila come to bring us food. We talk, go swim some more, come back, and get into a major fight. Sheils acts like a bitch to Jenifer, my dad starts screaming at her (I swear she'll drive him to another heart attack), she insults Jenifer, my grandmother throws her out and threatens to call the police if she doesn't leave. Drama, drama. Sheils is so drunk she's falling down. I hate drunks. Eventually, we get her to shut her up and my dad takes her home. I really wish he would throw her out on her bony ass. We then head back to my uncle's for fireworks, late night swimming, horseshoes, and alcohol. . . lots and lots of alcohol. Woo-hoo. Good times, good times and my migraine is back so it is off to bed.

Monday. . .
Another 8 hours of sleep makes me happy. My grandmother starts the day by cooking us an extremely fattening breakfast. Yeah, she spends years telling me how fat I am and now she wants to make me gain back the weight that I've lost. And it's a gorgeous day so we head off to the pool to get some sun. We spend a lot of time playing in the pall and hitting each other with water balls. And I actually doze off in my chair for a few minutes. Luckily, I have remembered the cardinal rule of applying sunscreen and then reapplying at frequent intervals. The day ends with me getting a little color but not getting burned. Score! We head back to my grandmother's for some food and dry clothes. Then, my dad and mom come to get Jenifer so that they can take mom to see the house Jenifer wants to get (which is just 15 minutes away from me). Jenifer is finally gone!! It is so much quieter without her here. I know I can get loud sometimes, but she screams when she talks. Not to mention the fact that she speaks in one long, continuos sentence. My grandmother and I watch Dr. Phil (I love him) and then head to my uncle's (yet again) for a cookout. My uncle swims and the rest of us talk and catch up. One of my aunts gets drunk off margaritas and is so funny. I throw my grandmother in the pool while she is throwing water balls at my uncle. She's not too mad though and everyone is amused. I then play a game of Scrabble with my drunk aunt, her husband, and my grandmother. Guess who wins by more than sixty points?? Yep, that would be me. We eat a nice dinner of chicken and grilled potatoes and we laugh and have a great time. We then set off even more fireworks and the day has been a good one. It's then back to my grandmother's for TV and bed. Tomorrow it's back to work. Joy of joys.

Tuesday. . .
9 hours of sleep and I am ready for a day of e-mails and bitchy customers. I shower and take off for work. Traffic is great, which makes me happy. Work is good. It goes by fast, and we're making a little headway with the e-mails. Thank goodness. I work , work, work and head home on time for a change. I come home, watch TV, check e-mails, and spend forever catching everyone up on my blog. I must prepare for tomorrow's e-mail-a-thon (working 12 to 12). I plan on working out for the first time since the dislocation of my knee. We'll see how that goes. Talk to everyone later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Luke said...

I'm glad you had a great 4th of July. :) Talk to you soon... I'm on vacation!

July 07, 2004 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home