My Photo
Name:
Location: Naples, Italy

Living in Italy with my husband, who is a civilian employee of the US Navy. I am addicted to books!

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Fun with Luke!

This week has just flown by, probably because I spent it with Luke. I had a great time with him. He was busy with work and still managed to take time off from work to spend with me. Even though I didn't necessarily get to spend as much time with him as I would have liked because of the whole work thing, I still got to spend tons of time with him and we had so much fun. My first night there, he made me brownies. He has never baked me anything before, much to my chagrin. I have been disappointed by this, but he more than made up for it. The brownies were sooo yummy. The best part about going to Luke's was that I got to catch up on my sleep. I'm not kidding. I slept so much. . . but only when he was at work. Well, mostly. Hehe. It was very relaxing. We went to dinner with his friend Jake and his wife Rachel. We had yummy Mexican food and then played some weird board game at Jake's. Everyone totally kicked my ass, but whatever. I was a good sport. Kind of. We also got to attend Rochester's Lilac Festival. It was actually pretty weather and the lilacs were so incredibly gorgeous. They smelled amazing as well. I love flowers. We had a lot of fun. The rest of the week was spent spending time with his family (who are really cool), eating tons of great food (seriously, I miss dim sum at Golden Port already), and enjoying more of the wonderfulness of Rochester. I can't believe I just said that either, but Rochester does have some really nice views. Luke also gave me a birthday present. Yay! He gave me a couple of books that I have been wanting forever and one of them is Suze Orman's book, "The money book for the young, fabulous, and broke." I love her. She is such a financial genius and the book is amazing. She has some GREAT tips on buying a car, which is what I need at this very moment. I have already read a good portion of the book. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this present. Thanks again Luke!!

Okay, so my flight was cool. I actually slept for pretty much all of it. (Big surprise, huh?) I get to the airport parking lot where I left my car and what do I find? My rental car has been hit. Seriously. . . a hit and run. Great thing to come home to. The damage isn't too bad; it's just a small dent. But still. For crying out loud. So I'm sitting there waiting for the police so I can file the report and I'm thinking that there has to be a voodoo curse on me or something. But then I just make a decision. I do not want to be one of "those" types of people. You know the kind I'm talking about. The kind that just complains all the time and everything. I just keep remembering Luke's tribute to me in his blog last year. He said that the quality he liked most about me was the way I never let life get me down. I just keep "chugging along," as he said. I think I probably annoy Cindy with my endless supply of optimism and support. In the last few weeks, it just seems like everything has hit me full force and so many things are happening at once. I just have to remind myself that good things are happening too and there really isn't anything I can do about the bad stuff. I just have to deal with it and move on. I feel better about things now that I've just decided not to let things get me down. Sometimes you can decide if you want to let life kick you while you're down or not. I'm going to keep smiling through every single curveball that life throws at me. I do have a lot going for me. I can be thankful that I wasn't killed in my car accident and that the only thing that needs to be replaced is the car. I can be thankful that my dad is allowing me to live rent free in my own space with him while I'm going to school. I can be thankful that I'm going to school in order to do something that I know I'm going to love and that I will (hopefully) be good at. Even though I'm not religious, I can still count my blessings, so to speak. A lot of times I feel like I'm 26 and I have no direction. But when I think that, I should look at my sister's life. At least, I work hard for my money. I even have a job that is related to the career that I want to be in (finally) and this time next year, I will be in the middle of my practicum and I will have patients. Can you believe it? Someone's healthcare will be in my hands. It's scary and exciting at the same time. So I have a direction. It's just going to take a little while to get there. That's not always such a bad thing.

Well, I guess I've rambled on for long enough. I'm at work currently. It's been a long weekend and I'm going car shopping tomorrow after work. I already have one in mind. It's a 2005 Lancer with 26K on it and they're asking $9900 for it. That seems like a pretty good deal to me. I'm having my best friend Seth to go with me so they don't try to add on those stupid fees that dealers always try to add on. Bastards. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

Blogger poet said...

i'm glad you had a good time, and sorry about the hit and run. sounds like that is a good car deal you are looking at. good to take someone else with you. (used car dealers like to take advantage of we women). best of luck.

May 21, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger Luke said...

Good luck and thanks for the visit. I had a blast. Now I sleep.

May 22, 2006 10:36 AM  
Blogger Tatyanna (and Dorian too) said...

Hey Girl!! I'm so excited that you are posting again. I missed you over here!

That Suze Orman book is amazing! I borrowed it from work, but I wish I owned it. I wrote down freaking NOTES I loved it so much. She helped me out with credit card issues, who doesn't love that!?

May 22, 2006 8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home